He Shou Wu
Hair Growth | Skin Glow | Longevity
This is one of those holy roots that has a whole lot of documented uses since ancient times, as well as being revered by the modern scientific community. He Shou Wu, Polygonum multiflorum, is a popular herb in traditional Chinese medicine. Commonly known as He shou wu in China and Fo-ti in North America, studies have shown this herb to be beneficial in the treatment of cancer, supporting diabetes, hair loss, hardening of the arteries, and neurodegenerative diseases. Traditionally, it's also revered as a spiritual herb, known amongst monks and healers to boost spiritual potency.
Healing Benefits of He Shou Wu found in scientific studies*:
Written by Joe Cohen
- Anti-inflammatory: The TSG and emotion in Fo-Ti has been studied for its decrease in inflammation. Emodin protects microglia cells in the brain from inflammation due to lipopolysaccharides through AMPK/Nrf2 activation [Medical Reference R].
- Promotes Immune Function: The sugars (rhamnose, arabinose, xylose, and glucose) and anthraquinone glycosides found within Fo-ti can improve immune response and overall immune system function (immunomodulatory effect). Fo-ti boosts the immune system by increasing the production of T and B cells, and improving the activities of the immune cells, as well as increasing the secretion of the inflammatory tumor necrosis factor. Further, Fo-ti increases the activity of natural killer (NK) cells [Medical Reference R, R].
- Anti-Viral: Fo-ti exhibited anti-HIV by preventing the virus from entering lymphocytes in a cell-based study [Medical Reference R].
- Protects the Liver: The anthraquinones and polysaccharides found in Fo-ti protect the liver by reducing inflammation, preventing fat oxidation, and increasing antioxidanteffects [Medical Reference R, R].
- Protects the bones from oxidative stress: TSG from Fo-ti extract protects the bone-making cells (osteoblasts) from oxidative damage in a cell-based study, suggesting that TSG may protect against osteoporosis due to oxidative stress [Medical Reference R].
- Protects tissue oxygenation in Diabetes: 2,3,5,4′-Tetrahydroxystilbene-2-O-β-d-glucoside protects against kidney damage from high blood sugar in diabetic mice through SIRT1 and TGF-beta1 pathways [Medical Reference R, R].
- Neuroprotective effect: Studies show that it may help with Alzheimers Disease
tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside from Fo-ti helps with memory deficit [Medical Reference R]. A small Chinese clinical trial found that Fo-ti extract is effective against Alzheimer’s disease [Medical Reference R].Tetrahydroxystilbene glucoside helps slow down age-related memory loss in rats [Medical Reference R].In a cell-based study, treatment with a Fo-ti root extract reduced amyloid plaque that can cause Alzheimer‘s disease [Medical Reference R].
A Note on He Shou Wu:
+ Proper processing of the He Shou Wu is know to greatly reduce its impact on the GI tract, and particularly the liver. Traditional processing involves a decoction, which is known for significant changes in its chemical profile, which inevitably influence the associated pharmacological properties of HSW. It’s raw form, which is known to cause nausea and diarrhea, is actually used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for particular functions such as for detoxification, eliminating carbuncle, malaria, and loosening the bowel, whereas the decoction is used for tonifying the kidney and liver, supplementing essence and blood, blackening hair, strengthening bones and muscles, eliminating dampness, and reducing lipid.* [Medical Reference R]
+ Although He Shou Wu is usually used to treat various liver diseases, an increasing number of cases of potential HSW-induced hepatotoxicity resulting in severe drug-induced liver injury. Chinese herbal medicine, HSW is a multicomponent synergistic system, which plays both therapeutic and toxic roles in humans. It is used for strengthening and detox, yet it produces a biphasic effects (meaning it can cause both liver injury and liver protection).* [Medical Reference R]
+ Taken at a regular small dose, with complementary liver supportive herbs, reduces its potential hepatotoxicity, and enhances its esteemed vitality effects in the body.*
As a typical tonic medicine found in Chinese medicine and other healing traditions in Asia, the clinical utility of He Shou Wu largely depends on processing methods. The hepatotoxicity of HSW is not easily detected when used at recommended doses and when properly processed as a decoction. In the Chinese Pharmacopoeia the predetermined daily dose of decocted He Shou Wu is 3-6g, about 1/2-1tsp.
The main chemicals responsible for the hepatotoxicity of HSW are free anthraquinones such as emodin and physcion [Medical Reference R]. Which are at higher percentages when consumed in its raw form. Because it also may mimics estrogen in the body, it is not recommended for those dealing with estrogen positive cancers, or excessive estrogen count overall.
How to use:
As a typical tonic medicine found in Chinese medicine and other healing traditions in Asia, the clinical utility of He Shou Wu largely depends on processing methods. The hepatotoxicity of HSW is not easily detected when used at recommended doses and when properly processed as a decoction. In the Chinese Pharmacopoeia the predetermined daily dose of decocted He Shou Wu is 3-6g, about 1/2-1tsp. It can be added to tea, coffee, your favorite latte or sprinkled over savory dishes.
We recommend everyone listen to their body intuitively; follow the dosage that resonates the most with you.
The main chemicals responsible for the hepatotoxicity of HSW are free anthraquinones such as emodin and physcion [R], which are at higher percentages when consumed in its raw form. Because it also may mimic estrogen in the body, it is not recommended for those dealing with estrogen positive cancers, or excessive estrogen count overall.
Ingredients: *semi wild roots, sustainably grown in a small farm in China from an authentic source in Yunnan; a very pristine and indigenous area to China where He Shou Wu thrives.
10:1 extract powder; prepared by the traditional method with black beans. It does not contain any fillers or additives!! Be aware that many Fo-Ti's in the market contain maltodextrin.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases.
If you are not completely satisfied with your on-line purchase, we accept returns on select items (please see below) within 7 days of receipt. Items must be postmarked by the 7th day to be eligible for a refund. Please Log-In to your account to begin a return for your order.
All items must be in new, unused condition with any tags still attached and packing intact. Returns that are damaged, soiled, worn or altered may not be accepted and sent back to the customer at the customer's expense.
- All custom orders, gourmet pantry & food or confectionary items, edible wellness & supplements, make-up, nail polish, skincare & apothecary, vintage items, flash sale or promotional items, furniture, artwork, books, sale items and lighting are FINAL SALE and cannot be returned.
- ALL JEWELRY PURCHASES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE and qualify for an electronic store credit or exchange only. If you'd prefer to have a credit to one of our physical store locations, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the instance a non-returnable or final sale item is approved for a return, a credit will be issued minus a 20% restocking fee. All credits are issued in the form of an electronic gift card.
IN STORE PURCHASES:
If you are not completely satisfied with your in-store purchase, we accept returns on select items (see above) within 7 days of your purchase with a digital receipt and/or the Credit Card used for the purchase. Items must be returned in brand-new condition within 7 day window to be eligible for a refund back to the method of your payment. Items returned within 8-14 days are eligible for in-store credit only without exception. If you paid with cash for your in-store purchase you must have your digital receipt.
Discount codes cannot be combined or used on sale, subscriptions, gift boxes & bundles, as well as certain vintage, lighting & furniture pieces. To honor our relationships with our Makers, some brands may be excluded from discounts. Discount codes cannot be combined with other discount codes and they can only be used at time of checkout and we do not offer retroactive application of discount codes. Please note discount codes do not apply to shipping.
A note on vintage items, some of our products are vintage items. This makes them one of a kind and slightly imperfect, just how we like it! Our vintage items are thoroughly inspected and meet our high quality standards. Condition is already reflected in price.